Skip to main content

Thank You for the Birthday Wishes

Thank you for all your birthday wishes. They warmed the cockles of my heart.

All these years, I have traveled, studied, lived and worked all around the world. So many times, I went away, leaving family, companions and lovers behind as well as birthing friendships and unfinished undertakings. And many times, no matter how hard it was to depart, I had it easier: for me, it was the beginning of new experiences and excitements, whereas my friends only stayed with my absence.

Some of you I have not seen in so many years. Life is short and fragile, and as much as it may pain me to admit it, I might never see you again.

Today or the day before, you took some of your time to write me a few words for my birthday, and I want to express my gratitude for your friendship, past, present or future. I thank you for remembering me, I thank you for having had a drink with me, played music with me, for having exchanged ideas, thoughts and emotions with me. I am nothing but the sum of all those people I have ever interacted with.

Today, discovering your messages and reading those many names from my entire universe--your names--come together, I can see my whole life outlined, like a sketch made of connected dots. You are those dots that sketched me.

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Wonder Woman

I finally watched Wonder Woman  that many had introduced me as a feminist movie. Instead, I only found a series of misogynous clichés, and I wanted to expose some of them, at least in the particular angle I have seen them. 1. From the top of the movie, we learn that Zeus is the king of gods, and he created  " beings fair and good, strong and passionate to his image, called 'men'”. Zeus is a male, and he is incontestably at the top of the pyramid. That is a poor start for a feminist film. 2. The story keeps going and tells us that after Ares, Zeus’s son, got jealous of mankind (for some reason that is not exposed) and poisoned their good nature, so men start killing each other. In order to save them, the gods “created the Amazons to influence men’s hearts with love”. I can see how the writers could have thought that bringing love and peace was a compliment for women, but in fact, in consequence, women were "created" to serve a secondary function to men. ...