Skip to main content

Why Chariot Is a Bad Idea

I welcome any idea that can make women be and feel safer. However, I am a little bothered by this, legal challenges set aside. In some parts of the world, women and men are not allowed to take the same buses, cannot be together in public unless they are family, and a common justification is concerns about women's safety; in a time when feminism is receding after decades of slow progress, the solution we are offered to fight discrimination is more discrimination; the 13 year old limit for males is a way to say that from that age, men become potentially dangerous and it is time for them to find their own ride; in an effort to solve problems that emerged about what sexual identity means, there are now unisex public toilets, so similarly, there will be issues about using Chariot if you identify yourself as a female but are legally a male.

On the bright side, this new service will create much-needed debates about women safety and harassment. But it seems to me it offers to fight symptoms rather than its causes (chiefly improper education). Separating women and men throws us back in a time when they were separated in most aspects of the society--which also happened to be a time infamous for its sexism.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/04/10/chariot-women-female-uber-get-shut-takes-off/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Wonder Woman

I finally watched Wonder Woman  that many had introduced me as a feminist movie. Instead, I only found a series of misogynous clichés, and I wanted to expose some of them, at least in the particular angle I have seen them. 1. From the top of the movie, we learn that Zeus is the king of gods, and he created  " beings fair and good, strong and passionate to his image, called 'men'”. Zeus is a male, and he is incontestably at the top of the pyramid. That is a poor start for a feminist film. 2. The story keeps going and tells us that after Ares, Zeus’s son, got jealous of mankind (for some reason that is not exposed) and poisoned their good nature, so men start killing each other. In order to save them, the gods “created the Amazons to influence men’s hearts with love”. I can see how the writers could have thought that bringing love and peace was a compliment for women, but in fact, in consequence, women were "created" to serve a secondary function to men. ...